Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mommy Dearest

I wrote this post on May 16 and OOPS! forgot to post it, so it is woefully out of date...It doesn't matter in the least since this blog is solely for me and my one other reader, but I just wanted it noted for the record...

Something happened in the past week that I clearly see as the end for me. Isaac transitioned from saying mama to mommy. There have always been a few things that have reliably saved him from certain and swift discipline. The first, is when his hair is sticking straight up in seven different directions. I cannot look at that ridiculous, Edward Scissorhands hairdo and come down on him with the stern hand of judgment. I just can’t. The second, is his too darn cute impish “I know that I’m bad, but I know that I’m cuter” grin. Ok, you got me. This, though, is more than my doughy mommy heart can overcome. Who knew that changing one syllable in a word could have such an effect? Mama was of course, still sweet, and always welcome in dialogue, but there was one caveat. Isaac’s verbal interpretation of the word mine came out sounding just like mama, and so for about one week I thought the sweet boy was saying, “mama, mama, mama” and he was actually exhibiting bratty possessiveness over the stray banana on the table, any toy belonging to any person, and more broadly speaking, anything in his direct line of vision. The recent switch to mommy, however, can so far not be confused with any other word and has been accompanied by pointing directly at me and gazing into my eyes. It.Is.The.End.

In other news, it has been quite some time since I have undertaken this with any zest, and will probably be some time yet before I try it again, so here’s a quick rundown of the past year. Walking – check! Running – check! Chasing the dogs full tilt with maniacal laughter and squeals of delight – check! One set of extremely disgruntled dogs – check! Dancing, high fives, low fives, clapping, stomping, talking, animal noises, and recognition of all body parts sans elbows – check! He loves to roar like a dinosaur and say “CAAAA-DOOO” for a rooster. His new favorite obsession is blowing “bumbles”. He loves the plastic container that the bumbles come in, the bumble wand, and the actual bumbles. He loves to pop the bumbles and drink the bumbles. His other favorite activity is by far reading, and he will sit and “read” to himself now if we are otherwise occupied.

Also, Isaac is in a long-running relationship with one of his classmates at daycare. It was love at first swapped paci and has now progressed to a level of seriousness we are not quite prepared for. The teachers alerted me to a certain nap time situation. Apparently, the girlfriend was coming over to Isaac’s cot and he was lifting his nap mat cover so that she could climb in with him. Really?! Luckily, she is a charming girl and I wholeheartedly approve, but I’m going to need for them to slow down to a respectable level of toddler appropriateness. There was also a story circulating that after seeing her shoe get stolen by a fellow classmate, Isaac ran over, tackled the classmate, and retrieved the shoe for his love. He’s nothing if not chivalrous!

1 comment:

  1. A blog!!! What a pleasant surprise for a rainy Thursday night! I love all the Isaac updates. =) Bella just started saying mommy this week-- and I'm in agreement with you-- it's heart-melting!

    ReplyDelete